The Emmerton School

The building that is on Church St. today took a couple of years to construct and was finished around late 1927-early 1928.  The new building was actually the second school by that name established by the Unitarians in that location.  On the property they also maintained Salem Cottage for teachers, ministers, and students, and had their church looking out over the White Oak River.

The mission had waned in Swansboro by 1931 and so the Unitarians sold their brick school to the Swansboro Methodist Episcopal Church in 1931. Many older residents of Swansboro remember vividly going to church and Sunday school there. In 1968 it became the Swansboro Town Hall.  By early 2016, the Town moved out and leased the West side to One Harbor Church and the East side to the Swansboro Historical Association.